Kia ora te whanau o te kotuku The next few weeks will be very busy…
Auckland Transport’s Safe School Street Programme – Event Day
Auckland Transport (AT) is holding a one-day event outside Rutherford Primary and Rutherford College, on Kotuku St, on Wednesday 22 May. During the event, there will be changes to the way children are dropped off and picked up. The event is part of Auckland Transport’s Safe School Streets programme.
Safe School Streets
Auckland Transport’s Safe School Streets programme looks at how infrastructure improvements, placemaking (the way streets are planned and designed), tactical urbanism (low-cost temporary changes) and behaviour change programmes can improve safety and encourage alternative transport options for the school journey.
Auckland Transport is undertaking a pilot project with six Auckland schools to implement and review solutions to increase safety outside schools during peak times.
Rutherford school one-day event: Wednesday 22 May, 7.30am – 4.30pm
- Drop off & pick up/park and walk zones: These are located on Gloria Avenue and Old Te Atatu Rd to reduce vehicle congestion. At these locations, adults will be there to walk children safely to school.
- Restricted parking on Kotuku St: On the event day, parking will be restricted on Kotuku St for residents only.
- Safe walking streets: With fewer cars on Kotuku St due to parking restrictions, walking along Kotuku St will be safer for students walking and cycling.
- Coffee and sausage sizzle: As part of the event, a coffee cart will be operating during the drop-off hours, while a sausage sizzle will be available during pick-up times.
- Feedback: This a one-day event, but we will be taking feedback on the day.