Google Apps for Education
Rutherford College is using Google Apps for Education in the classroom.
By logging into Google using your school email address and password, you have immediate access to Classroom, Gmail, Drive, Calendar, Vault, Docs, Sheets, Slides and Sites.
Microsoft Office 365
Office 365 is available free to all students and staff who would prefer to use it. Click here to download your choice of Word, Powerpoint, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, Access, Publisher, Lync, InfoPath and/or OneDrive (1TB of space per user) onto up to 5 devices.
Just use your school email address and password to access your account.
Choosing Your Device
As part of the D4L (Devices for Learning) program at Rutherford College, it is expected that all Year 9 and 10 students bring a digital device. Year 11 to 13 students may use a device if they have one.
Minimum specifications for a device:
- WiFi capable
- Minimum battery life of 5 hours (students should not expect to charge their devices at school)
- Minimum screen size of 7 inches
While the school does not require a specific device, a Chromebook has proved to be an economic and serviceable option as the platform for learning resources in use is Google Classroom.
To view suitable products and purchase online go to www.byodshop.nz.
Laptops – Suggested minimum specifications
Tablets – Suggested minimum specifications
Windows 7 or higher or Mac 10.6 (Leopard) or higher
- Antivirus Software
- Web Browser (Google Chrome capable)
- Software that enables word processing, presentations, spread-sheets, image manipulation, video and audio editing (these can be cloud based – eg Google Docs). The Ministry of Education provides Office 365 free to students to install and use both at college and home.
Additional Equipment likely to be required
- USB Pen Drive
Things to consider if purchasing a device:
- iPads do not have the ability to connect to external devices such as a mouse, USB or hard disk
- Increased memory will result in smoother running devices
- 2 or 3 year warranties are recommended, especially if they include replacement batteries
- Ensure your household/contents policy will cover your son/daughter’s device