Kia ora te whanau o te Kotuku
Under alert level 3, Year 9 and 10 students are advised to continue to learn from home where possible. However, we are aware that some of our families may not be able to have children remain at home.
For students that are unable to be supervised at home during school hours, Rutherford College requires that they are registered prior to returning to school for health and safety reasons. You can register your child by following this link.
Accordingly, set out below are the processes to which we must adhere.
- Entry to school must follow a strict arrival process each day for health and safety reasons.
- Students must arrive at school on time for an 8:40am start, and remain at school until 3:00pm. Again for health and safety reasons.
- Correct school uniform must be worn each day (this allows for the clothing worn by your child outside of your home bubble to be isolated each evening).
- “Bubbles” of no more than 20 students each need to be maintained (siblings will be kept together). Registration is needed to form these bubbles. Please be aware, if a student arrives at school and has not been registered online by a caregiver, they may need to return home until registered. We will only be asking the minimum of staff to be on-site each day.
- Students must remain in the same bubble each day for the duration of Alert Level 3.
- These bubbles are not allowed to mix with other bubbles at school during the course of the day. This includes during designated break times – students will not be allowed access to many areas of the school as their bubble must be supervised all day to ensure physical distancing is maintained.
- Students will use the same desk for each day of alert level 3.
- Students will not be able to share any learning resources.
- Students will not have their regular classroom teachers. They will be following the same course of online learning as they would be from home. Please be advised that because our teachers are teaching for distance, we are unable to provide any teaching on-site. Staff will be present in classrooms in a supervisory role only.
- The government have advised that at alert level 3, home bubbles must stay within their immediate household bubble, but can expand this to reconnect with close family/whānau, or bring in caregivers, or support isolated people. This extended bubble should remain exclusive. We encourage you to do this where possible over sending your child to school.
- Playing fields/courts/gymnasiums will be closed.
- Information Commons and reception will be closed during Alert Level 3.
- The school tuck shop will not be operating. Students must bring their own morning tea, lunch, and bottles of water. Water fountains and vending machines will be off-limits.
- We are currently unsure if school bus services will be operating.
- Students must sign out at the end of each day before leaving school grounds.
- If your child is unwell at all, they will not be permitted to enter school grounds.
- Any flu-like symptoms that students may exhibit must be reported immediately.
In terms of protecting the health and safety of staff and students, the following procedures will be implemented by the school in addition to those listed above:
- Surfaces used by staff and students will be regularly disinfected.
- Safe hygiene practices as recommended by the Ministry of Health will be followed by staff and students.
- Hand sanitiser must be used when entering school grounds, and prior to entry and exit to designated classrooms.
We advise that should your child be registered to attend, they must attend every day and for the full duration of each day. Again, we remind you that the advice from the Prime Minister is that students should remain home through alert level 3.
If you have any questions, please send them to [email protected].