In March this year, the Library and Information Commons started to redevelop its collection and spaces.
This July, we completed the withdraw of approx. 1000 fiction books and 6000 School Journals, and we are very pleased to say that we were able to rehome most of them.
The Fiction books were all given to Rutherford College staff and to Lorraine Antonovich from the Honorary Papua New Guinea Consulate, she also took some school journals. Lorraine will send the books to Papua New Guinea.
School Journals were given to the following places:
- Mr. White delivered some boxes to West Harbour School.
- Helen from Learning Resources for Villages @supportvillages http://supportvillages.wixsite.com/booksvillages will distribute her school journals to the remote villages in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu & islands of Micronesia. (Drop off of the journals was at St. Joseph’s school in Orakei)
- Linley McIntyre and Amanda Bennett from Rutherford Primary.
- Lorraine Williams from Vaiala Beach School in Samoa.
- Rutherford College staff.
We are very happy that we were able to help out people and schools in and outside New Zealand and we will be able to keep doing it while the rest of the collection is being redeveloped.
“When you give someone a book, you don’t give him just paper, ink, and glue, you give him the possibility of a whole new world.” —Christopher Marley
“Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him” – Maya Angelou